3SGE Cooling

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
jmsnz

3SGE Cooling

Post by jmsnz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Rather than pollute the somewhat unrelated thread over here http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic ... =10#p24899 I thought I would start a new one and reply to Aaron's post:
nz_climber wrote:Sounds like something is not right in the cooling system. Is the thermostat opening correctly? as you should only need 1 hole just to help bleed air out of the system. Also sounds like the fan is not coming at right time either. My temp doesn't even get that high when on the track!
The background to my overheating was that it only ever occurred at relatively low speeds, like below 80km/h above that and the temps were fine. Long story short was that when I first got the car in the middle of winter it wouldn't get up to temperature, not even warm. My solution was to change the fluid and put a new stat it in it. All seemed fine, though the next summer it ran a touch warmer than ideal in traffic, but on track and at open road speeds it was fine. This year it is warmer again, or perhaps I have been in heavier traffic for longer - you never know in Christchurch!! In discussion with Scott the 3 holes is a common technique they use on 3SGE's and I suspect that my old thermostat had at least that, probably more in it. Before getting to that solution I:
a) Checked that the fan was running, and running in the correct direction
b) The fan also has a manual on switch that didn't prevent the temp rising
c) Changed the coolant
d) Flushed the radiator
e) Checked the flow through the rad
f) Changed the temp sender
The water pump is listed on the parts used when the engine was rebuilt a few thousand k's ago so not a likely cause. Appreciate it isn't the ultimate solution, but obviously one others have used and I am on the road again which is good.

Cheers

John

bzrse7en

Re: 3SGE Cooling

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Does it make any difference weather the bonnet is on or off?

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Silly question as it will have been one of the first things checked, but does it have the standard sized pulley? A larger pulley might explain the lower speed overheating. A previous owner may have optimised water pump speed for higher rpms i.e. racing.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Hey John good idea to start a new post. I just mentioned it as something didn't sound right.

Sounds like you have done all the usual stuff. I would start with Patricks suggestion, see if its just an airflow problem.

Or it might just be a feature of the way the system is laid out.

I know mine is a bit different being a Beams engine (unsure how the fraser 3sge cooling system is set up), but only time I have my fan has come on automatically was sitting idle in a que waiting to check in for the ferry after a 40min drive. The fan kicks in a 92 degrees and then off again 86. It would just come on for a few minutes then off again. Other than that I turn the fan on manually after being on the track just to flow some air through the engine bay after thrashing. Sorry can't give exact temps as my gauge doesn't have them. But it sits bang in the middle except for sitting idle (where it sneaks up a little bit like a mentioned until the fan brings it back down)

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:53 pm

jmsnz wrote: b) The fan also has a manual on switch that didn't prevent the temp rising
John
This is interesting, so if the fan doesn't have an effect and speed does, they both have high air flows thru radiator, so possibly this isn't the issue.
Possibly engine speed / coolant speed is the issue, try driving at low speeds, but higher revs, see if this has a positive effect.
Then I'd look at your pump impellor and it's pulley size as stated above.

jmsnz

Post by jmsnz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the knowledge guys - much appreciated.

I think Gollum's comment re pulley is very interesting, not to mention perceptive - do you have knowledge of the car's history? I believe it has some racing experience and it has a logbook plus a couple of scruteeniring stickers.

I will check pulley sizes and report back.

That said, as a Dad with a full book of family commitments I consider it a privilege to find time and get out in the car so now I have it operational, not that keen to change the situation over the coming months whilst the weather is good.

Cheers

John