Carbs

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
ibreadmore
Paid Member

Carbs

Post by ibreadmore » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Got a few carbs laying around.

I know most are stromberg cd and two SU's but what's this one?

Anyone interested in buying the surplus once I decide which to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

bzrse7en

Re: Carbs

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Looks like a hitachi carb with an adapted manifold, maybe Viva?
CD stromberg's are $hit.
SUs are great, easy to tune by changing/sanding needles, but those look like tamper proof ones, so not sure if any good.

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Post by ibreadmore » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Your right about the manifold, it is a modified Viva one, that will fit straight onto my engine.

Are the Hitachi carbs any good?

SU is apparently a H4 (left) and an H2 (back right)
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

speleo
Paid Member

Post by speleo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi Ian
Many years ago I remember a customer who had a viva with one of those hitachi carbs on, it seemed to go just a bit better than the others which at the time had downdraft solex carbs. So maybe not a bad bet.
For something different what about getting a sidedraft weber/dellortos and make your own manifold, saw one on a chèvette, the carb was mounted over the top of the engine. Went very well. You'd only need a small one and it would have all the right sounds.
Cheers bob

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Pretty straightforward to modify an SU carb. According to Vizard's notes, possible to make an 1 1/2" (H4, HS4) flow like an unmoved 1 3/4", which should make it good for around 100hp (not that any Chevette/Viva ever made that much).

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:14 pm

ibreadmore wrote:Your right about the manifold, it is a modified Viva one, that will fit straight onto my engine.

Are the Hitachi carbs any good?

Yes, they are good carbs, very reliable. Seen on many small - mid jap cars. However people seem to change them over to Webers, Subaru 1800 EA82s have them but are replaced with Cortina carb. Probably it is a size thing more than anything else. The one you have might have come off a 3K corolla, Datsun 1200 or something similar.

SU is apparently a H4 (left) and an H2 (back right)