Crank scapers windage trays

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
bzrse7en

Crank scapers windage trays

Post by bzrse7en » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:49 am

Hi
Has anyone got a good resource on designing crank scrapers, books, web, what clearance to run etc?
I have A Graham Bell's book on tuning 4 strokes which doesn't say a great deal.

I am pretty certain once I put the 23 on a track, the first time I am going to have oil surge problems and will need to add a baffle into the 1.8T's sump. The windage tray is also a joke, but thankfully another VW has a decent windage tray that'll fit. So, me thinks, while I'm down there, might as well do the lot.

davew

Re: Crank scapers windage trays

Post by davew » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:26 pm

I made my crank scraper from 2.3mm stock and have a 1.5mm clearance to the rods. I also have a diffuser screen on top of my wind tray and only have 1mm clearance in a couple spots and have not had any issues with the 4AGE. Used the same stock to make the sump gates. Dave W