welding on and around my engine

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
7dreamer

welding on and around my engine

Post by 7dreamer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 pm

What is the best practice other than stripping my engine down for welding parts on around engines.
For example engine mounts and exhaust manifolds. I am well aware of the damage electric arcing can cause to bearings etc

G

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Re: welding on and around my engine

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Just think of what its line of travel would be from earth to torch. Make it not go through the engine and make it as close to the weld as possible! So if youre doing an exhaust, earth to the exhaust itself and same with engine mount (clamp on the mount not the block). You can then weld from the mount to the block (or from the exhaust to the block flange) without any problems.

Dont go and clamp it to the crank. :lol: Whenever I do anything I unplug my computer. In reality its not really a problem but its better to be safe.

7dreamer

Re: welding on and around my engine

Post by 7dreamer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks that's pretty much wat I was thinking.
As you were gentlemen