Fraser engine/gearbox removal

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
Lancer

Fraser engine/gearbox removal

Post by Lancer » Fri May 22, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi all,
I've just purchased an early Fraser with an 18R-G engine and box. I have a problen with the clutch dragging - it is difficult to engage gears when not moving. Once first is engaged the clutch travel and engagement is normal. When holding the car it does creep forward a little. I've checked the slave cylinder movement and bled the hydraulics - all ok. I'm suspicious that the input shaft clutch splines are dirty (old grease?), the spigot bearing is stuffed or the clutch plate has a slight distortion.
Anyway - I've decided that I have to bite the bullet and remove the clutch to sort it out.
My question is - what is the best method to removed the gearbox? Engine and gearbox out as one unit with the car raised and engine/box tilted and hauled out the top? Drop both combined out the bottom (lift car off the engine/gearbox with hoist)? Engine out seperately (doesn't seem enough space to move it forward enough)? Or gearbox only out (likewise, doesn't seem enough space)?
Any comments from those who have done the job would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Lance

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Re: Fraser engine/gearbox removal

Post by Not-a-Number » Fri May 22, 2015 9:58 pm

I guess it would be car specific. If you know the car well you could make a better call but since you've only just bought the car I would look more into the clutch master setup before pulling the engine.

There can be built in bypass/ bleed valves that leak and slowly release/drag the clutch. I don't know much about it but I have heard of leaks like that causing drag problems.

Or since its a new car to you and you are motivated then it's a good time to rip the engine out and do the clutch and all the bits around it. Pull the whole engine and box out it easier.

jmsnz

Post by jmsnz » Sun May 24, 2015 9:28 am

Lance,

Welcome to Fraser ownership.

I took my engine & gearbox (4A-GE + T-50) out as one unit but it is very tight. It was some time ago, but from memory the process was something like:
a) Remove the radiator (mine was up above the top chassis rail)
b) Remove the alternator
c) Remove the steering column (might not actually be required)
d) Remove the gear box mount off box the gearbox & chassis
e) Drain the gearbox oil
f) If the wiring loom runs across the top and/or above the front chassis rail move it
g) Bring the engine an gearbox forward and then tilt up as far as you can.
h) I had to jack the front up slightly to get a better working angle and then lowered it once the bottom of the sump cleared the chassis rail

Hope that helps, I did it and are not particularly mechanically adept! I doubt my current lump (3S-GE + T-50) would come out as one, but never tried.

Good luck!!

Cheers

John

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Tue May 26, 2015 5:42 pm

We have removed our 4AGE and T50 gearbox a number of times since building the car.

You can't drop the gearbox as there is a chassis rail in the way, so the only way we found to do it was to remove the engine, then the gearbox. We always put the car on axle stands, remove everything connected to the engine, then hoist it out, giving heaps of room then to play with the gearbox.

We found no need to remove radiator, alternator or steering column when we have done it this way.

If you have a T50 gearbox, it's a good idea to remove the gear lever (via big circlip running around it), this makes it easier to slide the gearbox out, and also we have been filling the gearbox up with oil thru the gear lever hole, alot easier than trying to get it thru the side.

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

Lancer

Post by Lancer » Thu May 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks John and Matt,
It's still drivable at the moment and I'm still enjoying driving it too much to disable it for a couple of weeks to do the clutch (and besides - I need the engine hoist at work for the next few weeks - then I can borrow it for a while without it being missed!)
Your advice is much appreciated and I'll let you all know how I get on once I do the job.
Cheers
Lance

Lancer

Post by Lancer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:20 pm

It was a wet weather week so I decided to bite the bullet and pull the motor out this morning. Got it out OK through the top while leaving the gearbox in place - very tight squeeze!
Whether I can get it back in the hole remains to be seen!
Attachments
Fraser motor out.jpg
Fraser motor out.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 3265 times