4AGE & T50 questions...

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Re: 4AGE & T50 questions...

Post by KiwiBirkin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Paul can you put the list up in the 4AGE engine sub forum as I have settled on a 4AGE Blacktop to T9 gearbox for my upgrade if it goes ahead and that list may be helpfull too me and others.

Cheers Stephen
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:42 am

Last edited by Gollum on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:58 am

The clutch is compatable.
One of those brackets pictured won't fit properly, on the 20v they have drilled one of the threaded holes in the block on a different angle. The bracket on that side still kind of works.

Patrick

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Last edited by Gollum on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:57 am

The best mod for a 4age is this.....
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 937503.htm

Easy 200 hp at low boost with no internal mods.. a bargain. I made this up to suit a 7... the supercharger fits in the same space taken up by the alternator.. the alternator moves to the other side. It was sold to the guy who bought my chevron, but he didn't want any more power(?)...
7ish

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Mon May 03, 2010 11:39 pm

Last edited by Gollum on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 am

Actually me too.
If I had chosen a dirt o'l silver top, this would be perfect.

Patrick

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:29 pm

bzrse7en wrote:Yea I remember now, you are right dave, input is the same, output is different.
When looking for a yoke if not purchased with a gearbox, the 22 spline output box's yoke actually has 21 splines, Toyota left out a spline in the yoke, leaving a gap, kind of like a master spline. So when asking potential 'yoke sellers', make sure they count the missing spline. Hope that makes sence.
Blacktop plenum is big/deep so you might have issues with it. I fitted a Unifilter for twin webbers with some 80mm ram tubes I turned up.
If you cannot get a clutch fork or cannot fit it to your chassis, you can fit a concentric clutch slave cylinder. Mine is off a Saab 900. (V6 Vectra also OK) It works well, and the engine sits back further than most, but there are access issues.

Patrick
Aha!

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

I got stranded today after the clutch refused to disengage in response to a pedal depression... There was nothing there so whipped off the master cylinder lid and sure enough there's nothing in there - and there is wetness in the sumpguard. Dad ran out some more fluid to me and a fill up and few pumps later and it was fine to get me home.

Unfortunately when I went looking for the slave cylinder all I could see was some hard lines going into the bellhousing. This post answers the question :-)

Unfortunately this sounds like at least a gearbox drop - Patrick, do you know if it's feasible to just drop out the driveshaft and then is there enough access to remove the BH/gearbox with the engine in-situ?

At this stage I'm assuming it's the slave cylinder since there wasn't any obvious drips from the master cylinder or any of the joins.

Are the Saab and Vectra slave cylinders completely swappable?

Cheers - Neil G

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm suspecting it looks a lot like this

Cheers - N

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:33 pm

It is the same as the one pictured.
The engine has to come out, as the gearbox cross-member is welded in. The engine can simply be slid forward on a jack and not fully removed.
I'm not sure why it is leaking, it was brand new when fitted, I got it from the US. Possibly it has over-stroked and popped a seal (O rings), if this is the case, I have possibly gotten the spacer thickness too short. It is a Saab 900 unit. Hopefully it is just a cracked bundy line, or possibly the pressure plate has failed and the cylinder has over-stroked.

See how you go.
Patrick