State Highway 4: Raetihi-Wanganui

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Rookie
Paid Member

State Highway 4: Raetihi-Wanganui

Post by Rookie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey Guys,

I did this trip on the weekend and was pleasantly suprised at how awesome this road is to drive, lots of chances to pass, and it has great corners, and the best bit: it's 88.2 Km long so it goes on for ages! I think it would add less tha 1/2 an hour to a trip to Auckland from Wellington (maybe a petrol stop too :D)so well worth considering, not to mention how much prettier that side of the mountain is.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&sourc ... 8&t=h&z=10
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

nz_climber
Paid Member

Re: State Highway 4: Raetihi-Wanganui

Post by nz_climber » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 pm

Looks like a good day trip there and back from my place. Now I just need something worth driving

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks for the link Rookie Ill put on my road list for my trip to the North Island in Grace sometime later in this year.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:08 pm

I've driven this road once on a drive to Auckland in the work car, Camry station wagon. It added alot more than half an hour to the trip, and as Rookie said it is long!!!!

In a seven however yeah boy....it would be a great way to go.....and then heading North go the western side of the lake.....taking the Mangakino to Te - Awamutu road...
Last edited by flewy on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:10 pm

I've driven this road once on a drive to Auckland in the work car, Camry station wagon. It added alot more than half an hour to the trip, and as Rookie said it is long!!!!

In a seven however yeah boy....it would be a great way to go.....and then heading North go the western side of the lake.....taking the Mangakino to Te - Awamutu road...

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&sourc ... 8&t=h&z=10

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 pm

KiwiBirkin wrote:Thanks for the link Rookie Ill put on my road list for my trip to the North Island in Grace sometime later in this year.
Then carry on up the west side of Ruapehu and stop off at that wrecking yard or "Museum" as they describe it. It is the yard they filmed Smash palace staring Bruno Laurance. It is also interesting as the very very old cars in the yard are so well preserved because of the alpine environment.

Patrick

bogus7

Post by bogus7 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:06 pm

indeed a great drive...the first time I drove it many years back,.... leaving Wanganui there there is / was a yellow dimond signpost indicating the number of kilometres of winding road...you know the ones, usually something like 2 or 3 kms....but the one there was 52Km!, my reaction yeeeeehaaaaaa, my wifes Oh NO!!!!!!
Great drive! Earle