SH1 alt route before Tirau

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

SH1 alt route before Tirau

Post by Not-a-Number » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:33 pm

I have been taking this route which turns off to the right before Tirau and comes out just after Tokaroa. It is honestly the best road I have driven on so far :D . When you are driving it feels like all the corners have been well thought out and it all flows and works properly (if that makes any sense). You don't get caught out or surprised by anything. No pot holes no sump smashers no back breaking surprises just all smooth. The grass is about 2 feet tall at the moment and right to the edge of the road which is quite a cool experience.

If you have the chance you've gotta go this way. If you're real keen you can continue on the same way and come out in Taupo.

bzrse7en

Re: SH1 alt route before Tirau

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:56 am

Yea, it is a cool road, I used to travel it all the way to Turangi around the back of the lake, traveling from Hamilton. A mate of mine reckoned it was no longer than SH1. More fun in a seven than the full Hiace I used however.

bogus7

Re: SH1 alt route before Tirau

Post by bogus7 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:33 am

Have to agree, nice road. If you want more adventure turn off earlier and head down the western side of the Waikato river past the Dams; Karapiro, Arapuni, Wiapapa, Maraetai, Whakamaru, and come out onto SH1 at Arapuni. I used to travel this road every month a few years back, lots of fun.....even in a loaded Hiace. When by boss at the time came along one trip I discovered he whistled when he got nervous as I braked late into corners....so I braked even later!