Brookby-Clevedon-Kawakawa bay-Kaiaua (and beyond!)

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

FRASTER

Brookby-Clevedon-Kawakawa bay-Kaiaua (and beyond!)

Post by FRASTER » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 am

Most Jafas will know this already but... Heading south from Akl, get off at Manurewa, left past Botanic Gardens and following main road down hill to the roundabout. Straight through on that road to Alfriston. Straight ahead again to next roundabout at Brookby. Veer left and carry on for approx 1k then Right into Twilight Road-narrow and twisty -BEWARE OF CYCLISTS-ESPECIALLY ON SUNDAYS! Twilight road ends in Clevedon. Restaurant/cafes/Delis abound. Fuel here too. Kawakawa bay road is a right and then a left at yet another roundabout. No deviations from this road all the way to Kawakawa Bay. Nice smoked mussel/oyster shop on your left at one point. At Kawakawa Bay store there is an intersection; Turn right and follow rd to Orere Point/ Kaiaua/ Thames. Lovely twisty bits through here... For a shortish trip, Orere is worth a look and then home same way OR, for a longer jaunt, stay on Kaiaua rd and follow the coast all the way to Waitakaruru. Kaiaua has a pub, characterful-not flash and a fish and chippy that has won awards. Fuel in Kaiaua-not sure if you can guarantee 97 proof though! At Waitakaruru, you can head to Akl the fast way down SH 25 back to the motorway and home, or incorporate a blat to Kopu and over to Hikuai and on to Tairua and and and...... possible variation on way home: head west from Waitakaruru but turn right towards the, now defunct, wine estate. Nice, twisty and quiet route via Happy vally, Paparimu then on to Hunua and back to Clevedon. Most frequent mistake on this route is to miss John Hill Rd on your right and end up in Papakura. Possible visit en -route: Hunua Falls. Fuel in Hunua township. Another alternative on way home is to take the Clevedon-Maraetai rd to Maraetai. Nice Cafe there by beach -packed on a summer weekend, though. From Maraetai, follow main road on through Whitford and either via Otara -Motorway-AK or over the hill to Botany-Ti Rakau Dr-Ak...

Lynx88

Re: Brookby-Clevedon-Kawakawa bay-Kaiaua (and beyond!)

Post by Lynx88 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:48 am

There's also a great little caravan cafe at Kawakawa bay, right by the water. Good coffee, and and exceptional bacon sandwich!
82 KP60 Starlet 4AGTE

"Driving fast on the track does not scare me. What scares me is when I drive on the highway I get passed by some idiot who thinks he is Fangio." - Juan Manuel Fangio

blackfern

Re: Brookby-Clevedon-Kawakawa bay-Kaiaua (and beyond!)

Post by blackfern » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 am

This is a great run. I'm lucky to live right on it at Mangatangi. (turn right from the north at the Kaiaua service station, 10 minuits to Mangatangi in Land Rover, 7 in a 7). Very well restored pub at Tuakau with first class accommodation and good meals, some undercover parking too about 20min from Mangatangi. Tuakau is 10 min from Pukekohe which has a great range of eateries. If your comming through drop me a txt and call in. 027 277 0474.
Have a look at my 7 which is running, warranted, rego'ed but needing some work here and there.