Off to the South Island this weekend for a week long trip

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

DrewBroadley

Off to the South Island this weekend for a week long trip

Post by DrewBroadley » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Here's my driving map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 8b&t=h&z=8

Unfortunately no se7en to hire, so I've had to settle with a Holden Commodore (it's the best driving car I could hire).

Flying into Dunedin, and departing Queenstown. Any suggestions on the trip for improvements for the driving side ?

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Re: Off to the South Island this weekend for a week long trip

Post by KiwiBirkin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Looks ok to me its one area of NZ I have neever explored so cant comment if its worth driving those roads.

Make sure while in Queenstown you head over the Crown Range (if its open) to Wanaka and stop at the Historic Cardrona Hotel for a lunch as its well worth the vist also the warbirds collection in Wanaka is worth a look.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:33 pm

The drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy is pretty good (pictureskew as well)

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Drew,

I have covered all of those roads over the last 30 years, mostly in my job or on holiday with the family.

The coast road from Owaka is great, although a long drive all the way from Balclutha to Fortrose. There are some brilliant stretches of windy well formed road (no gravel left now as I recall) with plenty of interest for the other passengers. Make sure you take the side trip to see the Nuggets and the Nugget Point light house, walk into the Purakaunui falls, Tautuku beach, Waikawa and Curio Bay (petrified trees on beach). But beware you will be further south than any other part of mainland NZ and sticking that far out into the southerly means it can be Very cold and wet :( .

The run round to Tuatapere from Invercargill is also great once you get past Riverton. Again lots for the whanau to look at with breathtaking coastal scenery. From Blackmount through to Manapouri is quite windy as I recall, and distances are deceptively large in Southland. If you have time turn off at Clifton bridge and take a side trip to Lake Hauroko. I personally love the Milford road, but watch the foreigners driving camper vans and rental cars. Every time I have driven through to Milford in the last 10 years I have found something overturned. Last time it was a camper van on its roof! :shock: The road is now sealed all the way, which has ruined it as far as I am concerned, but probably saved many more accidents.

The final drivers road that you will enjoy is the run up the side of Lake Wakatipu from Kingston.

A final word of warning. Our friends in blue maintain a large highway patrol base in Winton. Last time I was down they had a number of mufti hot Falcons and SS Commodores. Some of the Southland roads are made for considerable speed, but if you are tempted take a radar detector or be very careful. The muftis pop up all round Southland, even on the minor routes where you would least expect them. I speak from experience! :roll:

Have a great roadtrip :D .

Grant

DrewBroadley

Post by DrewBroadley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:05 am

Brilliant, cheers for the comments. Very much appreciated.

DrewBroadley

Post by DrewBroadley » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Ended up with a Ford XR6 (identical to this: http://www.testdrivenau.co.cc/?p=459) from Avis, which isn't exactly my cup of tea as I'm a Holden person (when it comes to picking from the two) and was hoping if it wasn't a Holden Commodore it was a Toyota Aurin.

Drive by wire, felt like I was disconnected from the car and trying to pilot a whale.

Anyhow, made it to Bluff with only having to pass TWO cars from Dunedin to here. Weather has been crap but the 30km of gravel road in a RWD was more fun than the wife could handle.

Off to Fiordland for three days and some kayaking.

DrewBroadley

Post by DrewBroadley » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:24 am

Birdman, thanks for the heads up on the police and locations. I saw plenty of cops, kept the cruise control on 105.

Made it back, connecting flight through CHC on Saturday was, well obviously, cancelled. Managed to get a direct from ZQN to WEL and get home.

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Glad you enjoyed your Southern Sojourn, and avoided our Southland friends. Ain't cruise control just the darndest thing?

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Birdman 7 wrote:Glad you enjoyed your Southern Sojourn, and avoided our Southland friends. Ain't cruise control just the darndest thing?
Yep its called my right foot had it for about 45 years now but only really found its use about 29 years ago :lol:
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

bogus7

Post by bogus7 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:32 am

Your cruise control is similar to my BSP in my Chevron, very similar to ESP, but biological, not electronic.
Earle