Adjustments required inorder to fit lotus 7

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

ady_uk
Paid Member

Adjustments required inorder to fit lotus 7

Post by ady_uk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi what adjustments will be required to fit a BEAMS 3S-GE Dual VVT-i, into the lotus 7, will it need sump cut and oil pump put in? Just looking to see if it would be a cheaper option then the SR20 s14. many thx Ady

Rookie
Paid Member

Re: Adjustments required inorder to fit lotus 7

Post by Rookie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Have a look around Aarons website http://aarons7.wordpress.com/, you pretty much need to fork out for a dry sump setup, which is $$$

Dave
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Hey there,

also check out my build diary on here, is a few more pictures
http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26

It is a very tall engine, and in your chassis I would say a drysump system would be needed, as even in the Mcgregor chassis its a squeeze with a drysump system. Also the alloy part of the sump is very wide at the front, so not really suited to just chopping the sump as its a 2 piece sump.

I can get some dimensions off the engine tommorrow for you if you want. But I would say it won't be cheaper than a s14 sr20 by a long shot!! (SR20 engines fit in a Mcgregor chassis without a sump chop - to give you an idea of relative sizes)

Other than that, Its a brillant engine and gearbox combination and I can't wait to have it on the road!!

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 am

Can you run a beams 3sge motor on the stock ecu without the other electrical boxes of tricks (dash, canbus, fuel pump sensors etc)? All the earlier toyotas would be happy just on the ecu.

I am guessing that you can't.....
7ish

McGregor Motorsport

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:41 am

Beams is 880mm tall , most 7 chassis can take a max of 580-620mm.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 pm

thanks Mark,
it was just a general ecu enquiry... I wasn't thinking of using the beams motor..( althugh a turbo dual vvt-i would be pretty clever)... There are heaps of them on trademe, but I am wondering if the ecu is of little use without all the other gubbins like ign key, canbus, cluster etc.....
7ish

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm

On the ECU side of things.

No you don't need any of that other stuff, just the ecu and all the matching sensors and everything should be pretty happy, you need the body ecu only if you want to run the standard dash to get the fuel gauge to work (which I am using because I like the look of it)

Don't need the keys etc as thats only on NZ new cars (which the altezza never was!)

Fuel pump is easy, just need to put it in the tank and let it go. (mechanical pressure reg on the pump) no sensors down that way
Electronic throttle is all contained within the throttle body so uses standard cable to drive it.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks Aaron. Just a thought... most of the height seems to be in the sump.. would it be possible to fit an earlier generation oil pump and steel sump, or does the alloy bit include the main bearing caps AKA Honda?
7ish

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Yeah the sump is tall, other factors are the height of the head and the standard intake (all adding up to a tall engine)

Yes you could fit another sump, I think 1s or 2s sumps fit or a fwd 3s modified for upright use, no bearings etc in the alloy section just a windage plate. You could use use another front oil pump housing, would have to check the CAS mount is correct though.

check out the link below for dimensions
http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=930