7A-GE

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Spyder

7A-GE

Post by Spyder » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 pm

After talking to a colleague who is repairing his 7A-FE engine and having a look around the interweb, has anyone done (or considered doing) a 7A-GE? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_engine#7A. Longer stroke than the 4A, so maybe not as much hi-rev potential, but more capacity and would make a demon turbo'd motor. Might work as a cheater as well, as it probably wouldn't look any different to a 1600cc clase 4A-GE :o

Rookie
Paid Member

Re: 7A-GE

Post by Rookie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:52 pm

They have been done many times before to good effect. You can quite easily tell they aren't a 4age as the block is ~15mm taller, so anyone who knows what they are looking at can pick it up quite easily. I also think you are silly to put the G head on it, but there are bigger problems really, the rod bolts are weak, so revs should be limited to 7k, and the flywheel has 6 bolts instead of 8, so the flywheel can do this:

But these problems can be fixed with cash (like everything else really), Bazda will sell you a set of H beam rods, and a billet flywheel, couple these with a 20v head, a nice turbo and some high comp 4agze pistons and you should make 250 rwkw pretty easily.

This is Matt Dunn's one:
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 pm

But why would you.... If 1800cc is good, wouldn't 2000cc be better? It probably weighs what a 3sgte does, and they make around 280hp stock!!! How much do you need???
7ish

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:44 pm

3S's are crap when turned around, that's why. You must have read the thread on Toyspeed not long ago?

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:26 pm

There is nothing wrong with a turbo altezza 3sge.....
7ish

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:47 pm

There is a Fraser in Auckland with a 7age block and 4age 20valve head. The car is raced alot and previously had a 4age Silvertop. I guess it has increased the power somewhat, not sure of specs, but have to comment that it sounds the part. Like no engine I've heard in a Fraser before.

Rookie...I don't really understand a comment like that considering the number of 3S engines out there in sevens these days....maybe that's it they are too common ??? unlike a dirty old kent with carbs thrown on the side??? Which by the way I do like also as I have one on another car!!!!

I love hearing about all the different combinations we have!!!!

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I guess it's like anything, there are always short comings to any engine that is used outside its design parameters.

jmsnz

Post by jmsnz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Rookie wrote:3S's are crap when turned around, that's why. You must have read the thread on Toyspeed not long ago?
Rookie wrote:I guess it's like anything, there are always short comings to any engine that is used outside its design parameters.
Those 2 quotes don't quite add up - crap does not equal shortcoming's. Last time I drove a kent powered car, I noticed a few 'short comings', even within its design parameters.

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 pm

How don't they, 3SGTE's ARE crap when they are turned around, there is no end of trouble trying to get them to do what any factory N-S engine does well from the factory. 3S's run bearings, blow head gaskets, crack blocks, have terrible oiling etc. 3S's have far more than their fair share of problems, and all I am saying is that there are far better engines for the job, and a 7age happens to be one of them, I could make a list of engines that have better merits, but that is hardly the point of this thread is it?

And what is with dogging on Kents? I don't like them either, but there has to be something said for the fact we still use them as a race motor 50 years after they were first made, I guess a good measure is that even the humble Kent has less problems than a 3S.

Also for the record, a Beams 3S is a 3S only in name.