Megasqurting a 4age 20v DIY ECU

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

bzrse7en

Re: Megasqurting a 4age 20v DIY ECU

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Slightly edited:
I have since changed a few things in the set-up.
VVT is now programed to come in @ 80% throttle and turned off at 7000rpm, there is now no lower threshhold for VVT kick in.
MS has only two parameters for it's programable outputs, I would like three to have a lower RPM threshhold, but realisticly, I don't think it makes a big difference on such a light car. Who goes WOT in gear at idle rpm anyway? Toyota turns VVT on @ 1700 and off @ 7000.
The lower VVT kick in and switch out do seem to have made some minor difference to performance.

I have added 108 into spark latency, as there was some spark retard due to lag time within the circuitry - about 3-4 degrees.
Max advance is now at 35degrees, coming in at 3000rpm.

I have loaded the 3.0.3 alpha firmware which will give me a few more parameters worth exploring. This code hasn't been completly tested yet, and it would seem I am the first to try the ITB (independant throttle body mode).
This mode lets you blend alpha N and speed density together without the need to tune two VE tables. Speed density is what I have now and it does work well, but it is apparently not as accurate at metering at larger throttle openings when using ITBs as alpha N. Conversly speed density is great for all other driving conditions and a single throttle body.

The other enhancement is acceleration enrichment. In the 2x code, you could either choose normal AE, which adds a bit more fuel when you give give it the welly. Or EAE which uses a toyota fuel adhered to wall and sucked from wall code to economicaly enrichen for accceleration.
Both work well, but neither is perfect. AE is wasteful of fuel, EAE cannot react fast enough with ITBs.
In the 3.0.3 code, you can have both.

The tuning has gone well, and I doubt there is any or much more power to be found. The only area where I think there might be some is between max torque and max power RPMs where a slightly different advance number might unleash a couple of HP.
Now though, I can put in those big cams and raise the compression and be able to adjust it close enough.

Patrick
Last edited by bzrse7en on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simjen

Post by Simjen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:29 am

Patrick,

I love the write up.
Definitely getting me excited to give mine a go, just got to pull finger I suppose.
Looks like the kit @ $250 USD would be the go, and I would just build the 2 VR Conditioners on the board and forego the Zeal board.
What did you pay for shipping?
Would you be willing to post your final maps/setup etc?
At least it would give a decent start point even though your injectors are bigger!
Kids bus: Toyota Avensis Wagon
My Car: 1991 Eunos Roadster
Toys: Ducati 996 Monoposto, Honda CB400 Twin Cafe Project
My Blog: http://simjenlotus7.blogspot.com/

Bruce Wilson
Paid Member

Post by Bruce Wilson » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Simon

I have to be in Los Angeles next month then NZ in March - might be able to save shipping if you are not in a hurry....but shipping is cheap if you shop around.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce
2017 McGregor MACHsr7

http://kitcarnz.com/

Simjen

Post by Simjen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Bruce,

thanks for that :) might take you up on it if I can convince the missus :)

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:17 pm

SimJen wrote:Bruce,

thanks for that :) might take you up on it if I can convince the missus :)

You need a secret fund one she doesnt know about ;)
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 pm

SimJen wrote:Patrick,

I love the write up.
Definitely getting me excited to give mine a go, just got to pull finger I suppose.
Looks like the kit @ $250 USD would be the go, and I would just build the 2 VR Conditioners on the board and forego the Zeal board.
What did you pay for shipping?
Would you be willing to post your final maps/setup etc?
At least it would give a decent start point even though your injectors are bigger!
Yes, putting the VR conditioner on the main board is a good idea, and the idle circuit somewhere else.
Have a look at the DIYPNP kit as well, more $$, but easier.
Yes, I am happy to share my setup files, I am now using the original injectors and fuel reg, so should be fairly close to others now. The next big expence might be some big cams, just need to save for a bit.
Shipping was quite steep, as is typical most US suppliers have not heard of the post office, but they have definitly heard of DHL. I'll have to go look for the invoice, I was pissed at the post $$, but it is forgotten now.

Patrick

Simjen

Post by Simjen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 am

Yeah I saw the DIYPNP but not too keen due to the $$$$
Not even going to bother with the idle circuit as its a toy car and not meant to be perfect :)
So power wise do you think you've got much more?
or is it just smoother?

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 am

Smoother??? It's a toy car, it's not supposed to be smoother!! ;)
It is hard to say on power, it is all so subjective without a dyno. I think it is a bit stronger throughout, but not a great deal. You hear of guys on the net saying 20% or 50% thru the mid range, or flywheel HP figure is now at the wheels etc.. It is just a bit better. I have done a few timed accereration runs and it is maybe 0.2 faster to 100ks, but again there are so many variables, road, wheelspin, norwest wind, thumb speed etc..
I have recently found it very sensitive around low throttle cruise and high-ish revs on bumpy roads - I was bunny hopping along the summit Rd last night. Why was I at low throttle on the summit Rd? The cloud was so low, visability was just a few metres.

As for idle circuits, mines in there somewhere, but it isn't working right. And as you say, it isn't necessary on a toy. A bit of left foot braking for the first couple of intersections and fine after that.
Patrick

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Anyone watching this post to do their own 4age MS project: I may have the stated dwell settings wrong, fixed duty 10% is likely to be incorrect, although it does seem to work. I am now trailing standard dwell and will update write-up pending my findings.

Warm up fast idle is now operational, and working well. Tuning this wasn't difficult. I haven't bothered with closed loop idle, as I don't think it necessary when I don't have air-con to stuff up the idle speed.

Other than that, she is going well.
Patrick

toyota1515

Post by toyota1515 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:17 pm

I dont know you guys, but it could be i am too dumb for the Mega=Squirt but i am local tho this guys here at DIY in GA USA, and they couldnt help me whatsoever with my friend 2JZ-GE TE72 i build, and after we buy the MS3 with all the whistles for it we need to offered it for sale cuz no one could deal with it, we opt to install it with the factory harness and ECU!

If you ask me i wont recommend that brand at all, i better go with a Microtech, AEM, Sakura, Haltech, or the new Fueltech.