Re: Megasqurting a 4age 20v DIY ECU

Post by flewy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Enough said on that then....Patrick/Neil may be fuming mind you

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

toyota1515

Post by toyota1515 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 pm

OK so it is for sale brand new never used you guys are welcome to buy it for $400 USD plus shipping!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 am

Na, I'm not fuming :lol:
I was so happy with my first megasquirt for the 4age, I'm building another for the Audi engine.
Details to come.
$400NZ landed for the MS2 V3 kit.

The only real difference between the Motecs, links Haltecs, and MS, is that MS is DIY, they all work the same way, have basically the same componentry and principles, use similar code etc...Once you introduce the variability of the DIY bit, that is where problems come in. I have red a number of guys bad-mouthing MS, saying it is shit. It isn't MS's, the designers, or retailers fault, the fault lies squarely at the hands of the guy who is building, installing or tuning it.
When I did the 4age, I researched for quite some time, and initially there seemed to be no one able to use the toyota twin trigger dizzy effectively. People were bitching on the forum having to do a fairly rough modification to get it all working. Or using a ford ignition system in place of the dizzy. I waited till a couple of guys got it worked out and started selling their own little circuit boards. I then bought the MS and it went together a piece of piss.

toyota1515

Post by toyota1515 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:19 am

bzrse7en wrote:Na, I'm not fuming :lol:
I was so happy with my first megasquirt for the 4age, I'm building another for the Audi engine.
Details to come.
$400NZ landed for the MS2 V3 kit.

The only real difference between the Motecs, links Haltecs, and MS, is that MS is DIY, they all work the same way, have basically the same componentry and principles, use similar code etc...Once you introduce the variability of the DIY bit, that is where problems come in. I have red a number of guys bad-mouthing MS, saying it is shit. It isn't MS's, the designers, or retailers fault, the fault lies squarely at the hands of the guy who is building, installing or tuning it.
When I did the 4age, I researched for quite some time, and initially there seemed to be no one able to use the toyota twin trigger dizzy effectively. People were bitching on the forum having to do a fairly rough modification to get it all working. Or using a ford ignition system in place of the dizzy. I waited till a couple of guys got it worked out and started selling their own little circuit boards. I then bought the MS and it went together a piece of piss.
Well as you didnt ask this one was assembled at DIY as we buy it already put together directly from them and still a piece of crap we couldnt use at all, they told us it was gonna be just connect it and start using it, and the piece of crap didnt even had a base map to start the engine, plus it never see the Dizzy signal at all, clearly the messed up somewhere in the configuration and the only response we got from them was bring the car here and for $200 an hour we figure it out, YEA RIGHT,
NO BASE MAP
WRONG CONFIGURATION
TRY TO RIP US UP
Everywhere i can say they are crap and their customer service is the worst ever i will do so.
Again i have hear from many guys very good stories about them, but i have heard more about how crapy they are,
At the end you will be spending more $$$$ on one of them megascams than buy a renown brand ECU with way better results and less head aches.

Just my 2 cents here!

Pss
By the way this is a MS3 V3 with a jim stim communication cord and 8 foot harness!

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:08 pm

bzrse7en wrote:[snip]I then bought the MS and it went together a piece of piss.
And a while after I bought Patricks car, I had a local tuner look at it with a view to doing a dyno tune (Patrick had road tuned) and although they were initially a little hesitant they took it, did a tune and the results was great. They even said they had no issues at all, even not having used the software before.

As Patrick points out, most of the issues are due to user error - or I woudl suggest, unrealistic expectations for a unit that was never conceived or designed to be an off the shelf solution.

If it was sold to you (T1515) as an Off The Shelf solution, or if you perceived it as that, then you're placing the blame in the wrong spot.

Cheers - N

toyota1515

Post by toyota1515 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Nope, I ask the right questions and all of them before spending the almost $600USD my customer pays for it, It wasnt an off the shelf, they built it for us, my first deal with them was that i asked for a FUEL ONLY ECU and specifically tell them it was for a 2jzGE NON TURBO so i can use the Dizzy with an MSD BOX for Ignition and that way will be so easy to deal with, but for some reason those punks at DIY said and i QUOTE' (We got the right setup to deal with that engine and we can control Fuel and Ignition with it for $xx more) and of course i said GREAT we buy it, ohhh my God i should follow my guts on this one and reject their offer, but it is done and they dont have a CLUE on how to read the OEM 2JZGE dizzy whatsoever, i dare you to find someone who did whit any megasquirt, ANYWHERE!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Right here, three people using the OEM dizzy:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... tock-dizzy
And another on the MS forum:
http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... jz#p143905

I am pretty sure the dizzy is the same as the 4age 20v, you could have used my MSQ, and and just changed it where necessary.

If it won't read the dizzy, and it's wired correctly, it'll be the pots for setting up the on-board VR conditioner. Variable reluctors are a real bitch, and the MS has a circuit that will read pretty much all VR sensors, it just needs a tweek with a screwdriver to get into the sweet spot. There is no way DIY autotune could have got it right without having it wired to an identical car.

Megasquirt is intended to be an educational tool - it says this on the web site. The idea is, people learn by researching and having a play.
The Megasquirt forums generally don't advocate sharing tunes, as there are too many variables from one engine to another, and how things are wired. In saying this, I am sure someone would have posted a set-up file on the forum somewhere, that could have been used to get started.

toyota1515

Post by toyota1515 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

bzrse7en wrote:Right here, three people using the OEM dizzy:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... tock-dizzy
And another on the MS forum:
http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... jz#p143905

I am pretty sure the dizzy is the same as the 4age 20v, you could have used my MSQ, and and just changed it where necessary.

If it won't read the dizzy, and it's wired correctly, it'll be the pots for setting up the on-board VR conditioner. Variable reluctors are a real bitch, and the MS has a circuit that will read pretty much all VR sensors, it just needs a tweek with a screwdriver to get into the sweet spot. There is no way DIY autotune could have got it right without having it wired to an identical car.

Megasquirt is intended to be an educational tool - it says this on the web site. The idea is, people learn by researching and having a play.
The Megasquirt forums generally don't advocate sharing tunes, as there are too many variables from one engine to another, and how things are wired. In saying this, I am sure someone would have posted a set-up file on the forum somewhere, that could have been used to get started.
LOL, First link was posted by ME on the Supraforums both answers about having stock dizzy are LIES, They use the 7MGTE dizzy NOT the factory 2jzGE,
On the second link they are talking about the 2JZGTE a totally different animal, and NOT one of them show PISS about it, both links are NOT saying nothing and useless as far as i concern.

TRY AGAIN!

By the way the dizzy on the 2JZGE is not even close to look or be like the 4AG, it is completely different.