S4 Batwing

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Gollum

Re: S4 Batwing

Post by Gollum » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:33 pm

bogus7 wrote:
Not-a-Number wrote:Nice wireless brake lines. Modern!
...works on related atmospheric pressure to operate the brakes, saves on brake line length, and so weight, classic Chapman design

You guys haven't upgraded to wi-fi brakes yet?

Unfortunately, it has all the brakes it needs right now.... :(

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Gollum wrote:
bogus7 wrote:
Not-a-Number wrote:Nice wireless brake lines. Modern!
...works on related atmospheric pressure to operate the brakes, saves on brake line length, and so weight, classic Chapman design

You guys haven't upgraded to wi-fi brakes yet?

Unfortunately, it has all the brakes it needs right now.... :(
Cant be much more left to do?

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Still plenty unfortunately. I've also got a new problem in that I gouged the inside of my new wheels because of fouling the suspension arms... :( :twisted:

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Boris67 wrote:Hi Paul - the car is looking good. What's left to get it back on the road? Did you rebuild the water pump on yours when it was restarted? Just wondering if when that's necessary (and the pump is of the original design) whether the head has to come off to remove the water / timing chest. Hope it's all going well!! Warwick
Hi Warwick, Sorry I missed your posting - I was distracted by Pete's smart arse comment! :lol:

I haven't replaced the water pump yet. The reason being that the car hasn't finished sitting. I'll do it just before the car is pressed into service. Still not sure whether to use a standard unit or one of the 'new' ceramic ones. Probably best to take advantage of the newer technology I suppose. I believe it is a head and sump off job so do yours while the engine is on its stand! I don't think I've heard of anyone who has gotten away without replacing the water pump after an extended period of sitting. The best I've heard of is a few hundred kms before failure....

Overall things haven't really progressed but it's my own fault. We moved house shortly after I bought the car and pretty much all discretionary income has disappeared. I'll plod on but a this time of year I do think about trading it for an older Fraser or similar... :?

You can't be too far off disturbing the neighourhood with your yellow beast now....

Boris67
Paid Member

Post by Boris67 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey Paul, no problems - I thought wireless braking was a very good concept! I too have that in place on my car at the moment!! Hopefully getting some new pistons for the front calipers from a local Triumph guy.

I rebuilt the water pump in mine when I had the engine in bits. There is a ceramic washer inside it so not sure if that's what the new tech referred to? I know that Burtons and others do a modified pump setup which allows you to pull the shaft / impeller out the front to repair, rather than needing to remove the housing and use a press to replace (it's a bit of a mission!!!)- that sounds like a good idea but at the time (and still!) it was too expensive. I think with the rebuild it will last for some time though. I'll get a photo of my old pump bits and post - it was absolutely munted! I remember one of your posts about these being very fragile and you were absolutely right.

As for disturbing the neighbourhood - perhaps with engine noise! I hope that's not too far away. Must admit I'm starting to get excited about it all. If I could stop the daily driver from needing work things might progress a little quicker.

Hope things go well with you and your car.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah, the ceramic washer is as far as you need to go. As I understand it, the problems are twofold, firstly the rubber seal (replaced by your ceramic washer) drys out and then rips when used after sitting a long time. Secondly, people put too much tension on the belt. You've got the biggest part solved - now its up to you not to be a muppet and overtighten the belt! :lol:

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:19 pm

I've admitted defeat on my wi-fi brakes and they're now plumbed up in the traditional manner. :lol: The damn thing starts now too! :o

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:43 am

Gollum wrote:I've admitted defeat on my wi-fi brakes and they're now plumbed up in the traditional manner. :lol: The damn thing starts now too! :o

Good news Paul, does it move also ??
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:09 am

Moves, stops, goes round corners.... :o :lol:

Still nowhere near ready for the road though. With Christmas coming up, it will have to wait.....

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Gollum wrote:Moves, stops, goes round corners.... :o :lol:

Still nowhere near ready for the road though. With Christmas coming up, it will have to wait.....
Good work. What did you do to sort that cheese greater top wishbone? Hammer?