Aarons Mcgregor Mach 7

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

flewy
Paid Member

Re: Aarons Mcgregor Mach 7

Post by flewy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:01 pm

7ish wrote:Great stuff Aaron, its really good (for you) if you can get "she who must be obeyed" interested in the racing.... it makes expensive purchases much easier to justify!!
Since Jan has been driving our Fraser at track days, I have to agree Evan.....I don't even have to discuss upgrades, its just do it!!!! :D

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:48 am

Yeah it is awesome that she is so keen. Just have to keep a close eye on the fuel through out the day when the car is doing double stints!

I find that as long as you can relate it back to safety then you can justify buying just about anything - especially at work :D

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Here a bit update on my brakes:

My current set up is Cortina calipers at the front with civic calipers at the rear, both on unvented discs.

3 years ago when I first got my car on the road I had problems with the pistons in the calipers stuck and a dodgy master cylinder. Anyway I rebuilt them and put in new pads that I could get at bnt (or repco - can't remember) so I could get on the road to enjoy it.

Anyway the brakes then worked, but needed a good strong leg to get the action happening. I have used them plenty on the track and never had any fade. I thought this was ok as it was unboosted (having never dealt with this before). Then a year ago my wife started to drive the car, she noticed how much effort the brakes took, so this got me thinking about how to make it better.

I did my investigations, the pedal ratio was not great (from memory it was about 4.7:1) but being a floor mounted set up there is not much I can do about that without redesigning and building a new pedal box. Master cylinder is a tandem 11/16 datsun job, which seemed to be fairly common. And because I never got any fade at the track I decided I probably didn’t need to go to a bigger or vented setup. So just left it in the to hard basket for a while.

Then a few weeks ago I noticed the front pads where getting down so a perfect time to do an upgrade (since I needed pads anyway) so I emailed a few places, Racebrakes in Auckland came back quickly with a few options and provided some good advice on pads. My main requirements where good bite/friction and good performance from cold. Was not worried about dust etc.

Anyway I ended up with Pagid Blue RS4-2 for the front and Ferodo ds2500 for the rear with some nice new fluid too. So I put them in a week ago and took them out on Saturday to bed them in a bit and see how they go. All I can say is WOW the brakes are now amazing. Much reduced pedal pressure (almost like a boosted system) and great bite. Can't wait to get them on the track to get some temp in them!

After this I won't be putting road pads back in this car!

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:17 am

Would've been interesting to have just changed the front pads first, taken it for a drive.....then change the rear, and seen the difference.

I have wondered how much the rear brakes do in these cars being so light. I have no idea what brake pads are in the rear of our car, they came with the Nissan calipers and had plenty of meat on them so left them.

You'll be all set for the next track day now.......

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:13 pm

That is an idea. Didn't think of that to start with though. Yes just about ready, just fitting a front anti roll bar so should be good for the constructors car club day at Manfield on the 26th September.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Recently finished fitting a front anti roll bar to my car. Really interested in how it feels on the track at Manfield in a weeks time.

Also getting some half doors and a cover made for the cockpit at a local upolstrery place ready for a trip upto the Coromandel in October.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Well it has been a few weeks so thought I would put an update here.

I had the car out at the track at Manfield for the Constructors Car Club Trackday, there was a few 7's there, with both me and Katrina driving so the car was very busy all day because there was not many cars in total.

The new brake pads work amazing when you get some heat in them. Much better than my old ones. Also much easier on the legs as you don't need to push very hard to get them to lock, but they are very easy to modulate on that limit.

The addition of the anti-roll bar has also been amazing. The car feels much better to drive with just a hint of mind corner understeer. But you can still bring the rear around with the throttle on corner exit if you need/want too. Also the car feel much flatter in the corners and also seems to be alot let wheel spin coming out of the corners too (open diff). Also the car is now comfortable to turn in with a bit of trail braking too.

And the results are
I knocked 2 sec off my PB so down to 1:23.3 (still on road tyres) with a max speed of 187kmh on the back straight heading into the last corner.

Katrina is still learning to drive and get is better and better knocking another 11sec of her PB, would have been more if the last session wasn't stopped for another car off the track.

Overall very happy with the changes, looking forward to some more track time as there is still plenty of time in the car on these tyres.

Thanks to Matt for the photos!

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:53 pm

Great news on the anti roll bar...did you buy that cheap lsd?
7ish

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:10 pm

Then the very next week we had a road trip planned to the coromandel with the Fraser Car Club.

During the week I got a set of half doors and a cover to keep the rain off finished off by a local place (Auto Interiors)

They did a really good job, the half doors work well on the open road, keeping the wind down in the cockpit area making for a more comfortable trip and also stops my right hand getting freezing in the wind. The cover also works great we had to use it a few times during the weekend due to rain and also gives a bit of piece of mind when leaving the car out overnight!

Friday we went from Palmerstorn North to Waihi via Tauranga. After we patched a split in Matts fuel tank in Bulls the rest of the trip up went well although there was plenty of rain on the way up. We joined up with the rest of the group, 7 Sevens and 1 Elise. Also it poured down overnight so the cover paid for itself!

Saturday was from Waihi over to Thames and up to Coromandel Town with it raining off and on, on leaving Coromandel it poured down! But we soon drove through that and the weather was sunny on the east coast all the way down to Tairua were we stayed the night. The weather was awesome.

Sunday was the drive home after breakfast, back through to Waihi, Paeroa then down the western side of the lake Taupo to Turangi which was great with no traffic, but was very windy. Then Katrina drove the home stretch over the Desert Road and home to Palmy

Overall we 1209km in 3 days and the only weather we didn't get was snow! Not bad for a car with no windscreen or roof. Was a great trip! Good to catch up with everyone and enjoy some great roads.

ImageImage

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Fantastic Aaron, great to see you getting out on trips, its the one thing I miss about NZ the lotus seven trips we used to go on and the awesome scenery.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol: