Coming soon!

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Re: Coming soon!

Post by Super7Alfa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Just heard that the car is on a ship to New Zealand and should arrive in Lyttleton at the beginning of November. I have no further information on its history yet though.

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Caterham Cars have confirmed that the the sales invoice for the car, a Super Seven Series III, is dated May 1, 1974. They also told me that the car was supplied to a customer in Yorkshire, England, in component form, less engine and gearbox, for the price of £1042.96 and that the customer was about to move to New Zealand. This confirms the information in the "Skidding the Tyres" book :)

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Super Seven wrote:If it was indeed a 1968 Lotus Super 7 then the 1498cc engine size would match up with the Ford 116E engine that was a standard fit at the time.
If instead it was a 1974 Caterham 7 it could be one of the first remanufactured series 3 cars, but then I think those usually came with the Lotus Twin Cam engine (1558/1599cc).

Curiouser and curiouser... :D

Mike
Finally found the boxes my Caterham books were in :) According to Chris Rees' book "The Magnificent Seven", when Caterham first re-introduced the Series 3 in 1974 they upgraded the chassis to Twin Cam SS spec and used the Twin Cam engine. This had a capacity of 1558cc until 1978 after which the Twin Cam engines were built up from Ford 1600 blocks, creating the so-called "Tall Block" Twin Cam with a longer stroke, giving 1599cc. Caterham also offered the crossflow engine in 1300cc (only 4 built) and 1600cc forms from 1975.

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 am

Well, the car is now in my garage :D I drove it back from Invercargill last Friday afternoon in the rain with no roof or side-curtains and didn't get as wet as I expected. It's great to drive, the engine's characteristics really suit me - you can drive it around like a Nanna car at low revs in a high gear or you can boot it and make it really fly. The previous owner in the UK seems to have spent most of the time he had it re-building it, I've got bills in the history file for nearly as much as I paid for it :o I don't think it's done many miles since it went back to the UK - the records that came with it show it's done about 1,000 miles since 2008 and the teething troubles that have shown up so far are, I think, as a result of that. I've already got a list of things to do - including getting the weather equipment to fit (no fasteners on the scuttle for the tonneau, no fasteners for the side-curtains and a hood that's shrunk from lack of use), no charge from the (new in 2003) alternator and water temperature that barely gets off the bottom stop. No doubt there will be more as I drive it and it gets used to being driven after its long repose. I also want to get on with tracking down more of its history, so plenty to keep me busy when I'm not driving it :)

Edited to remove link to Snapfish photo album
Last edited by Super7Alfa on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Looks nice from the one image I can see... I think to see the rest of them I have to sign up to Snapfish. Ugh. Not a fan of that sort of thing...

Cheers - N

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Talkiet wrote:Looks nice from the one image I can see... I think to see the rest of them I have to sign up to Snapfish. Ugh. Not a fan of that sort of thing...

Cheers - N
Me neither, but the Forum rules say we should post pictures using an online picture hosting site and, as I'm already registered on Snapfish I've used that rather than signing up for another one. I'll try linking to individual photos and see if that's more convenient:

Edited to remove broken links
Last edited by Super7Alfa on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fivey
Paid Member

Post by Fivey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Yeah, all the photo sharing sites you have to sign up for, but most don't require the viewers to sign in! The other links you've tried to post are broken - it is because snapfish is a service intended for producing photo products, rather than social media type photo sharing. You'll have oodles more success if you just sign up for photobucket or one of the other services...

but the car does look very nice! Do people keep asking what you're grinning for?

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Fivey wrote:Yeah, all the photo sharing sites you have to sign up for, but most don't require the viewers to sign in! The other links you've tried to post are broken - it is because snapfish is a service intended for producing photo products, rather than social media type photo sharing. You'll have oodles more success if you just sign up for photobucket or one of the other services...

but the car does look very nice! Do people keep asking what you're grinning for?
That's a pain :oops: I use Snapfish as a backup for my digital photos and because I can upload an unlimited number of photos to albums. I also use it to share the photos with family and friends in the UK and elsewhere rather than emailing them copies. I don't really want to mess around with another site so it looks like no pictures on here :oops:

My wife commented on how long the grin lasted when I got home last Friday :D

We had our first ride out in it on Tuesday and she enjoyed it too, so it's all good :lol:
Last edited by Super7Alfa on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Right, I think I've sorted out a way to link to pictures - fingers crossed :geek:

Edited to say, Nope, that didn't work either :(
Last edited by Super7Alfa on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 pm

No, you haven't yet....
7ish