Wednesday night rFactor 2 blat

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Talkiet
Paid Member

Wednesday night rFactor 2 blat

Post by Talkiet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 am

8pm tonight... Server is 'lotus7.co.nz' n the rFactor 2 server browser

Meganes on Inner Loop C. Damage at 25%, 10 laps per race. password is 'awol' and server will be up all day for people to test their connection. The server is at my place but Mark and Stephen and one other jumped on last night and it was smooth as silk.

Post here or drop me a pm if you have problems connecting.

Prizes: Fastest lap in quali is a chocolate fish, next time I see you :-) Winner of races is a chocolate fish, again, if we bump into each other... Or can be picked up from McGregors :-)

Cheers - Neil G
Last edited by Talkiet on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

McGregor Motorsport

Re: Wednesday night rFactor 2 blat

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 am

you do get a 20sec start penalty ...

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 am

McGregor Motorsport wrote:you do get a 20sec start penalty ...
Hmm... 10 laps? 20 seconds? Ok then :-)

I should work out how expensive a drivethrough is on that circuit - might be the safest way to do it

Cheers - N

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Actually, having seen the speed of at least one other person on the server I'm going to have to take back my acceptance of the 20 second penalty and respectfully suggest you speed the hell up :-)

Cheers - N

McGregor Motorsport

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks guys , it was great fun.

Next race , NASCAR @ Daytona on RF1

Here is the MOD , use the stand alone install , it runs outside of RF1.

http://www.vhracing.net/VHR-Stockcar/Do ... nloads.htm

If Niel sets up the server we can post practice nights too.

Mark

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 am

I'm going to be away for work all next week so I'm out unfortunately... I could probably still set a server up though if desired.

I must say though I downloaded VHR and installed it last night and they were the least fun cars I've ever driven online... Felt like trying to race tanks on ice. Admittedly I tried a road course first and haven't tried daytona yet but hmmmmmm. not sure I get NASCAR...

Now, the BMW 1 Challenge Mod ( http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID ... nge%202006 ) around Falkenberg and Norisring!!! THAT is fun.

I remember a KSR series and we had 5-6 very fast guys running within 0.1 of a second... We were drafting most of the time - Huge ball of laughs.

Cheers - N

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Post by ibreadmore » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 am

If i wanted to get into this online racing thing, what is the bear minimum computer spec i am going to need.

Don't want to know what other peripheral items you guys are running as i am not in a position to purchase such luxuries.

Cheers Iain.
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 am

What are your existing computer specifications? If your PC is almost current, then you can get by with surprisingly little horsepower...

The most obvious expense is a wheel and pedals - don't even bother trying to use a mouse/keyboard etc...

The old Logitech Momo wheel set is GREAT value for money and can be had on Trademe for very little...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/joystic ... 467270.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/playsta ... 583914.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/joystic ... 125092.htm

If there's an upgrade required, it's probably in the graphics card department. Depending on what sort of motherboard you have in your PC, you could get away with something like an Nvidia 8800GT or GTS

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/comp ... 730791.htm

You'll get something under $100 that will do the job - although obviuosly the more you spend the prettier the game will look. As it happens I have a GTX260 I'm about to sell and I would like $150 for it... It's a very good card and I was running rFactor2 at 60FPS with it with only a few options set to medium or high (instead of full)

The one gotcha with the video card is that some modern or high end cards suck power and need a large power supply (more correctly, they need a lot of power on particular supply rails) so knowing what you already have in your PC would be helpful.

Finally, you need some software. rFactor is the current gold standard and is cheap, rFactor2 is a paid for beta and there's iRacing which will give GREAT racing against people anytime of the day or night, but it is a pay as you go option and you end up paying for all tracks and cars.

Reliable broadband is also needed if you want to race online. DOesn't have to be amazingly fast - just reliable.

Anyway, post your PC specs and we'll go from there.

Cheers - N

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:01 pm

As Neil said above current PC specs will be helpfull.

Cheers Stephen
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 pm

I think were on again for this on Wed 22nd same cars slightly longer track, I belive Mark has spoken to Neil about getting this setup for us.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol: