Megasquirt 3

For the discussion of ECU's and programmable ECU's

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

7ish
Paid Member

Megasquirt 3

Post by 7ish » Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Anyone had any experience with the latest megasquirt .?
7ish

bzrse7en

Re: Megasquirt 3

Post by bzrse7en » Sat May 12, 2012 9:30 am

It looks like it is going to be you Evan! And maybe me, not sure to go MS2 or 3.
You can borrow my Jimstim stimulator if you wish. (I have washed it so you and your wife won't catch anything ;) )

From my MS2 experience, the only problems faced are the ones caused by the bloke who set it up, and this can just as easily apply to Link, Haltec or any others.
The V3 board is reliable, they must have sold thousands.
The 3x card is SMT, so cannot be buggered by you with a soldering iron
Tuner studio is good and stable and easy to use
The MS3 code is still in development, but as plenty of people are using it, and some of the features are now common with MS2 extra, I doubt you'll be alone if you find a bug.
I would think as MS is global and Link isn't very global, more people would have used MS and reported problems on a very large range of engines, therefore there are fewer chances of bugs remaining.

Patrick

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Sat May 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks Patrick. I have contacted DIYautotune to ask about their shipping prices... I'll post here how much they want to send a kitset to NZ.
7ish

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Sat May 12, 2012 8:53 pm

After meeting the owner of Link ECU's at the Speedshow last year (hanging out with Scott from Fc has its advantages), I'm surprised you Christchurch folk don't use that resource down the road.

What is it about link that you don't like?

I to find it an interesting subject and would like to have play so keeping an eye on all programmable ECU threads.

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

Super Seven
Paid Member

Post by Super Seven » Sat May 12, 2012 9:20 pm

7ish wrote:Thanks Patrick. I have contacted DIYautotune to ask about their shipping prices... I'll post here how much they want to send a kitset to NZ.
I've recently bought the MS2 kit and stimulator from DIYAutotune for my Alfa project. The two together plus shipping was about $370US, of that the shipping was $60US.

I thought about going down the Link route since one of the guys at work who builds v8s for the drag sprints recommended them but 1) I couldn't justify the cost on the budget I'm working to and 2) I wanted to build the thing myself.

My Seven has the Emerald K3 which is a nice bit of kit, but again significantly more expensive than the MS.

Mike

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sun May 13, 2012 9:19 am

Super Seven wrote:
7ish wrote:Thanks Patrick. I have contacted DIYautotune to ask about their shipping prices... I'll post here how much they want to send a kitset to NZ.
I've recently bought the MS2 kit and stimulator from DIYAutotune for my Alfa project. The two together plus shipping was about $370US, of that the shipping was $60US.

I thought about going down the Link route since one of the guys at work who builds v8s for the drag sprints recommended them but 1) I couldn't justify the cost on the budget I'm working to and 2) I wanted to build the thing myself.

My Seven has the Emerald K3 which is a nice bit of kit, but again significantly more expensive than the MS.

Mike
And this is exactly why I would buy MS, it has nothing to do with not liking Link, in fact , if I was more financial and had less free time, I would support my local.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Sun May 13, 2012 5:32 pm

My thoughts as well... $1800 for a G4 link, plus $$ on the dyno to tune it, vs a self build $800 ECU that has more features than the link and has been (dyno) shown to be pretty good as well.

Plus I am a sucker for punishment.
7ish

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Sun May 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Hey guys

Why don't you need to tune the Megasquirt on a dyno?

I understand your reasons why you won't touch Link, but personally and having met the dude I reckon he would be all out to help you guys out somewhat, especially since he is down the road.

Let us know the Megasquirt results!!!

Matt

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

Nitidus

Post by Nitidus » Sun May 13, 2012 11:11 pm

flewy wrote: Why don't you need to tune the Megasquirt on a dyno?
You would still be "recommended" to do a dyno tune with the MS.

Even though road tuning is fine on both the link and the MS imho - Speaking from exp. I have owned 2 MS and 3 Links, all road tuned by a mate of mine or myself.
If you have a good road tuner doing the tuning you can get it to within 5% of what your peak would be with a dyno tune but with a bit rougher torque curve.
I would like to add here that road tuning should not be attempted without the proper gear, we run minimum a link knock block and the Innovate Motorsports LM-2 wideband O2 Meter.

And I personally prefer the link, easier tuning software and less hickups when installing, this said if $$$ are the issue then I LOVE the MS :lol: just spend twice the time setting it up
My 2c worth ;)
Justin

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Mon May 14, 2012 7:50 am

If you only have to spend $800 or so on the ecu, you then have several hundred dollars to spend on the Dyno....
I agree that a Dyno is the best way to setup a new ecu.
7ish