Megasquirt build

For the discussion of ECU's and programmable ECU's

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

bzrse7en

Megasquirt build

Post by bzrse7en » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi
I'm not sure if this should be under it's own build diary, my Lotus 23 build diary, or here - it's here now.
I have been building a Megasquirt for the Audi 1.8T in the 23c.
This is what I have built:

MS2 with a V3 board
MS2 Extra code
VR sensor as main trigger and Hall sensor as second cam trigger using the on board circuits.
Sequential injection using this board http://www.jbperf.com/quad_ign_inj/index.html
4x COP (coil on plug) using above board.
Boost control built in proto area
Tach output built in proto area
One switched output which will probably drive a relay and switch a cooling fan
PWM 2 wire idle control using Fidle output

Cost was $400nz landed for the MS and $60nz for the quad driver board kit.

There are no more outputs left, but there is a couple of inputs left on the processor. I will use them if I see a need.
Table switching - this increases the fuel and ignition map's resolution from 16x16 to 16x32, could be handy in this boosted application, although there isn't a consensus whether it is necessary.
Launch control / flat shift - dunno if I'll use this.

Build has gone well and it fires up on the Stim, showing all things are working.
Just one mistake, when the magic smoke came out of a capacitor, which I'd shorted accidentally. I happened to be an odd value and the only way to replace it was thru RS components, @ $4 each - but you have to buy 10! So $40 added to the cost!

bzrse7en

Re: Megasquirt build

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 pm

You might have to right click on the images and click view image to see the whole thing, the first one is cut off somewhat and doesn't show the sequential board...
Connected to the stim
Revving up the PC
2 x Looms, one for sensors and low power devices, the other for high powered outputs, injectors and coils which are directly fired from the MS unit. Keeping them separate removes the possibility of electrical noise over the long lengths of the loom.

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed May 01, 2013 8:31 am

Would it be best for me to split my injectors into their own harness?

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 am

No
Your noisy stuff like coils, and VR wiring are separate and isolated from the MS on EDIS. Injector wiring isn't very noisy, so it would be pointless.