MapEcu 3

For the discussion of ECU's and programmable ECU's

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

7ish
Paid Member

MapEcu 3

Post by 7ish » Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 am

I thought I'd add my experiences with the locally designed Map Ecu3 piggy- back ecu.

Before you start playing with tuning, you must have a wideband air/fuel gauge with a data logger that records throttle position, rpm, air/fuel ratio and boost ( if turbocharged). I use the innovate LM2 unit. The mapecu has its own built in logger, you only need to connect a wideband sensor to get all the data you need.

I didn't want to have to rewire the entire car because the stock ecu was doing a really good job, but wasn't coping well once the boost came on... It went way too rich. Being a sucker for punishment, I wanted to be able to tune the car myself, so the piggyback ecu option looked to be the best way to go. There are several choices.. Greddy e- manage, plus other Japanese ones or the NZ designed map ecu. I liked the support I received from the guys on the performance motor research forum... Very helpful and always prompt replies to my issues, plus they have a good range of base maps for NZ cars.
Installation was straight forward but I had a lot of trouble with the software... The USB interface was flakey, with many communication errors, leading to wrong data being loaded into the ecu. (Windows7).

You have the choice of loading complete new fuel, boost and timing maps, or you can use the stock values and only alter the areas that need attention. It has a built in boost controller that works very well, plus 2 complete maps so you can tune for road and track.

I used the "intercept" option, and only changed the fuel map to lean it off as the boost came on... I didn't need to alter the timing, but I did make my own boost map ( max 14 psi).

The end result was pretty good. Much cheaper than a new stand alone ecu but just as tuneable. Very good quality and great local support. I never did get to the bottom of the issues with the software errors.....

My conclusions about the mapecu.... If you are fabulously wealthy: buy a Motec. ( or a haltec or link), if you have time to spare and some technical ability, the piggyback ecu is a good way to go, and the mapecu is a good choice.
If you really want pain.....build a megasquirt!!!
7ish

ady_uk
Paid Member

Re: MapEcu 3

Post by ady_uk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:46 am

I'm looking at upgrading my engine and was thinking of the link g4 turbo kit or the mega squirt, but after reading Evan's review, i'm now unsure which way to go.
Would like to get engine to stage 2+ http://www.nzefi.com/packages/power-upg ... 5-sr20det/ would the piggy back be an easy route to go, if so which brand ?

Ady

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 pm

I would definitely go stand alone ECU for those kinds of mods.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

ady_uk
Paid Member

Post by ady_uk » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:04 pm

so, would you go Link g4 or Mega squirt
ady

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:00 pm

ady_uk wrote:so, would you go Link g4 or Mega squirt
ady
Ady, they will do the same job, but only you can answer this one.
DIY or Turn key?
$1000 or $3000+?
Stress and confusion but ultimate knowledge or Shell-out cash and no understanding of what is happening?

If I were you, I'd have a look at MSExtra.com, and MSRuns.com if you get confused or have other negative feelings, buy a Link.

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:21 pm

How 'turn key' is a link really? How does it know what timing you want? Or the calibration of your o2 sensor or what idle control you're using etc etc etc? The bit I found hard/time consuming was physically installing it and getting everything working right. Surely I would of had to do exactly the same if I had bought a link instead? Didn't mind sitting in a warm room in front of the laptop working out how to tune things. :lol:

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Arr, yes, but don't the sellers of Link, Motec etc... do their best to sell the install and tune at the same time?
As far as I know, this is the preferred option for said products.

ady_uk
Paid Member

Post by ady_uk » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Link only tuned to run engine enough to get car slowly to the tuner, if I read correctly, still reading how mega is setup. How easy is the mega squirt pc-link program to use? does it have switch for two set-ups, ie high boost low boost.

ady

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am

For you Ady, I would go with the Link.
Not-a-Number wrote:How 'turn key' is a link really? How does it know what timing you want? Or the calibration of your o2 sensor or what idle control you're using etc etc etc? The bit I found hard/time consuming was physically installing it and getting everything working right. Surely I would of had to do exactly the same if I had bought a link instead? Didn't mind sitting in a warm room in front of the laptop working out how to tune things. :lol:
He has an SR20, they have a plug and play option...
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:01 pm

ady_uk wrote:Link only tuned to run engine enough to get car slowly to the tuner, if I read correctly, still reading how mega is setup. How easy is the mega squirt pc-link program to use? does it have switch for two set-ups, ie high boost low boost.

ady
Tunerstudio is as easy as any of them, however, it doesn't mean it will be easy.
MS can do switchable maps / tunes, however, you have to build the circuit that does the switching, where as Link will have it all installed.
Do you want to build it yourself, or pay to have it done?
I suppose getting one of those TM vendors to custom-build you an MS is an option, you'll still need a wideband 02 sensor and controller and be ready to do some road tuning and dicking around.