MapEcu 3

For the discussion of ECU's and programmable ECU's

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

ady_uk
Paid Member

Re: MapEcu 3

Post by ady_uk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 pm

asked about the link, here reply.
Hi, Is this setup a plug and play so to speak,or will run car on a basic level to get it to a tuner? thx adyuk (59 ) 2:12 pm, Mon 24 Jun
Hi. There are base maps freely available for all the plug in ECUs, but the suitability of the base map for your particular application depends on your individual modifications etc. But in general I would not risk driving around on a base map. Trailering the car to your tuner would be preferable

A safe answer so to speak, will try and find out abit more on the base maps first, before I choose which way to go.

Ady

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Mate, base maps on either product won't be a problem, most likely someone will supply you with a fairly reasonable tune in Megasquirt or Link over the net, but it will only be a starting point. Every engine is different, so a tune of sorts will be necessary no mater what stand-alone you choose.

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 am

What is making you want to drive it around on a base map anyway?
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

ady_uk
Paid Member

Post by ady_uk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Well what I'm looking for is best buy for my bucks. With the Link g4 its about $3+k ( kit $2210 + tuning) Or Mega Squirt $850 plus any parts need for tuning it myself (from what Evan said I would need would some tuning knowledge to get it right) Or the Map ecu3 which Evan thought was easy to tune up, but would it work for my set up, being its not a stand alone?
What are the advantages of stand alone Ecu,over the piggy back ones.
Just trying to get my head around this before I buy.

Ady

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Some ECUs are not happy with piggy backs, what do the Mapecu guys say?
At least with the mapecu, it already is close, as you have the original setup and are just modifying it. You'll just need to tweak things to suit your engine. But you won't be able to tune everything. It depends how out of tune the engine is I suppose.
With the other two, you'll have to tune idle control, warm up idle, warm up enrichment, acceleration enrichment, fuel cut on over run, boost control, timing table, fuel table, ummmm, what else??
In other words, there is plenty of tuning that needs to happen before it is ready for the wife to drive.
As the Link is 3 times the price, you should expect 3 times the amount of stuff, or looking at it the other way, with MS, your install and tune up will take 3 times longer.

MS isn't for everyone. I have used it because electronics interests me and I am happy with a long slog to save money and learn something new. It isn't for everyone Ady.

ady_uk
Paid Member

Post by ady_uk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Wife to drive :lol: :lol: she won't get in the drivers seat, cars too twitchy for her, she says.
I would like to have a go at tuning, like to learn and do as much as possible on the car as I can, but don't want it to go over my head.
Have a few weeks before I need to make my mind up, so I'll keep looking for as much info as poss. Thanks for your input, interesting stuff.

Ady

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Just noticed you put the link at $3k - to include tuning.. All options will cost the same in tuning if you get someone else to tune it, and all options are free to tune yourself if you want too..

Would have thought you had plenty of power already and be better spending money in other areas to make the car quicker - like a stronger diff you mentioned in another topic...

ady_uk
Paid Member

Post by ady_uk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Diff I think is covered, mark from Mc G's has one that I think will fit. I'm happy with the power, but after the track day at Taupo, which was more fun then I thought it would be, I'm keen to see if I can get more acceleration out of the car.
Yes, put the Link at 3k inc tune, as I didn't read on any of the info, that it comes with pc-link for customer tuning, and implied would require taking to a engine tuner.
Ady

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Piggyback ecu is the easiest option..... You can change boost, fuel and timing and have 2 maps, one for track and one for road.
You only need to alter the zones that are wrong or could be better... Cheaper than a stand alone ( though not as good), easier than a megasquirt to set up.

Hopefully they have sorted the flakey software interface.

The greddy e- manage ultimate will do the same job, but I don't know anything about the tuning software.

Just my thoughts.
7ish

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Any opinions on the DTA ecus?