Mega Squirt Newbie

For the discussion of ECU's and programmable ECU's

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

7dreamer

Mega Squirt Newbie

Post by 7dreamer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:46 pm

So where Do I start.
I want to put itbs on my motor. I have purchased a set of nissan pulsar gtir sr20. complete with the plenum part.
I had originaly thought i could just stick my air flow meter on the plenum and the tps on throttle.
but the throttle bodies are going to Flow a lot more air. So now it mega squirt time.
so wat do i need. as the interweb says megasquirts an educational tool so i guess il start learning now.
Wat is going to be a good set up to get me started

bzrse7en

Re: Mega Squirt Newbie

Post by bzrse7en » Thu May 02, 2013 9:53 pm

How much do you want to spend?

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 am

HEY, That's my line! hahaha

Have you read the msextra manual?
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 am

The problem with MS is there is too much information and to the newbie it can be confusing. The problem is, there are quite a few options and when you read them, some things seem to contradict other things. This happened with not-a-number, and it did with me also on my first MS build.

If money is not a problem, and you like all the toys, get an ms3, it'll run whatever you want and have plenty of capacity for upgrades that you probably won't use. It will run most ignition systems fairly easily, has SD card logging, USB connectivity, runs logic level coil on plugs, has knock control, individual cylinder fuel and ignition trimming and can run several 02 sensors, 16x16 fuel and ignition tables which interpolate (so higher resolution isn't necessary)................. I'd definitely use this on a maximum effort / highly strung engine.

MS2 has many of the MS3 features, excepting the ones above. MS2 is good enough for the average 4 cylinder engine, with a few interesting / useful bits, such as ITB mode, (blended S-D / Alfa-N fuel and ignition tables) which might suit you. I believe MS3's ITB mode is a little bit easier to tune.
16x16 fuel tables and 12x12 ignition that interpolate.

MS1 is for your basic engine, it will run it and run it well (depending on tune), but there isn't much extra. 12x12 tables.

Now there is the circuit board (mother board if you will).
V2.2 is your basic board with stuff-all noise suppression and many ignition inputs will need adding. It should run ford edis
V3 is a good board, and I chose to use it on both my MS units.
V3.75(?) is a machine build SMT board, but same as the V3.
3x board is an additional optional breakout-board for the MS3 only, it still requires you to have your V3 board above.

Firmware
B&G MS# firmware
Is your basic no frills operating system designed by the men who designed the hardware. It'll run your average distributor driven US v8 without problems. Most people are not using this anymore.

MS#Extra firmware
Is a much more advanced system with useful features and utilizes all of the capabilities of the processor.
I'd go for this. It was written by a different group of people to the hardware men.

MS3 is only available with Extra firmware

Be aware that the Extra build manual is slightly different to the B&G build manual, so decide what you want at the start and stick to that manual and internet forum.

Wide band O2 sensor
You'll need one of these, otherwise tuning will be very difficult.
I used a Techedge kit from OZ.
There is the 14point7.com stuff which is good - I believe, and reasonably priced.

A final note, for the newbie, MS should probably be called FS, Frustration - Satisfaction.
If you don't like a challenge, don't bother.

7dreamer

Post by 7dreamer » Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 am

Im happy to spend enough to get it done im away off needing it but I can collect bits and spread the cost out. Ive read about itb mode and some stuff about sequential injection but not the msextra manual. I would like to go build it my self way for maximal educational effect

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 pm

7dreamer wrote:Im happy to spend enough to get it done im away off needing it but I can collect bits and spread the cost out. Ive read about itb mode and some stuff about sequential injection but not the msextra manual. I would like to go build it my self way for maximal educational effect
I recommend you search on the MS forums (this time both MSextra and MSruns) to see who else has successfully done the same engine. There might be the odd trick.

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Fri May 03, 2013 10:14 pm

For me the bit so far (since I havnt done injection) that gave me a headache and made me ask the most questions was debugging and testing the megasquirt/sensors. Things wouldn't work and I didn't know if that was because I didn't have the right jumpers, or I used the wrong components somewhere or my sensors were stuffed etc.

That was me just being paranoid though. It would of all worked fine if I had followed the msextra instructions.

For testing the board I reckon the megasquirt stimulator would have been really handy. It's a board that simulates throttle position, rpm, temp etc so you can put the board you've just built through a bunch of tests.

7dreamer

Post by 7dreamer » Sun May 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Sun May 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Yip but be careful with spark plug leads. The one I got had weird connectors but luckily it came with leads that suited and I could pull them apart and re crimp onto new longer ones.